difference between .ex4 and .mq4

Hi

Can anyone explain me the difference between .ex4 and .mq4, except the fact that the mq.4 is redable and not the ex.4.

When I create a new EA, it is registered as a .mq4 file, and doubled by a .ex4 file automatically created when the mq4 is compiled.

I personnally use a professionnal EA on my ALPARI live account. I have been sent this EA as an .ex4 file

Question :

if I want to use one of my personnal EA that works well in demo on my live account, which extension must I have ?

is the .ex4 automatically taken in consideration.

Any explaination is welcome.

Lionel

leyoye1

The simple answer is that the MQ4 is a file read-able by you, an EX4 is a file read-able by the MetaTrader Terminal - it is a machine-readable version of the instructions you have written

To attach an EA to a chart, it must have been compiled to EX4, which you then attatch to a chart to start it

Always back-test & re-optimize on the live data first and start with the smallest possible lot size, see these posts on the differences between demo & live trading...

'Difference between Demo forward testing, and live forward testing'

'ScalpBot'

'super expert adisor'

'Execution time in live accounts'

Good Luck

-BB-

Thanks BB

That's clear

Lionel

I recently downloaded a strategy from someone who gave it to me to check out, and the file contained the same files (names) but n both mq4 as well as ex4  - why would he send both?

I know - noob question.

Thanks

Jacquesvanwyk1965:

I recently downloaded a strategy from someone who gave it to me to check out, and the file contained the same files (names) but n both mq4 as well as ex4  - why would he send both?

I know - noob question.

Thanks

If you want the best answer for that you should ask the developer

but when i open a job i get both files from the developers as well, you can put the .mq4 file in the experts folder and the MT4 will convert it automatically to .ex4 file

Jacquesvanwyk1965:

why would he send both?

Sending the .ex4 is proof that the code compiled. There is only a step to get it to work: copy it to the Experts directory. Therefore, this is only one step that must be supported.

Sometimes when I copy a .mq4 file from the CodeBase to the Experts directory it doesn't compile, even when I shut down MT4 and restart. I have to manually load the .mq4 file into the editor and hit the compile button. It's not hard to do, but trying to explain this to a newbie would confuse the hell out of them.

So why did the developer send the source code? That's really dependent upon the author and his/her agreement with you. For example, if I hired someone from Freelance, I would insist upon getting the source code. For what you describe—a demo that someone wants you to check out—perhaps he/she wants you to see that his/her code is clean, well documented, modular, etc. Some developers have pride in their workmanship.

Reason: