Change spread in the tester and symbols properties

Hi,

I would like to suggest the possibility of changing the spread used in the tester. The platform always takes the last spread available from the broker. Hex editing the fxt file does not fix it. During weekends and holidays, this may be very upsetting to backtests. This week, for example, market stopped with eurusd showing 11 pips spread, instead of normal 2 pips (interbankfx). I think this is a huge flaw in the platform, making the tester worthless during these times, while we wait for market opening and spread coming back to normal levels. If it is not possible to change this in some new MT4 build, I suggest this feature to be incorporated in the upcoming MT5. Thanks.

I strongly agree with this request. There should be a way to change the spread inside the EA code. For example, many brokers change spread depending on trading hours. I would like to model the changing spread inside the EA to more accurately predict the EA performance.

I agree too.

This would be very, very helpful. It would be simple to let the user edit the symbol properties ...

Or is there another workaround for this problem...

I strongly agree! I need to do accurate backtesting and not being able to set the spread is a big negative. I can't do backtesting on weekends because the spread will have been set to a much higher value. Please somebody let us know how to edit the .fxt file, and definitely please include this as a feature request fo MT5! Thank you.

kyrie26 wrote >>
I strongly agree! I need to do accurate backtesting and not being able to set the spread is a big negative. I can't do backtesting on weekends because the spread will have been set to a much higher value. Please somebody let us know how to edit the .fxt file, and definitely please include this as a feature request fo MT5! Thank you.

Unfortunately it is useless to edit the .fxt file. When the tester is started, it will overwrite the spread with the latest value available from the server. For me this is the biggest MT4 flaw. Really annoying. Could MetaTrader development team give us a hint on fixing this in MT5? As suggested by others, allowing spread modelling by code would be great, too. I don't use it but recognize that other strategies could benefit from this possibility.

jairo wrote >>

Hi,

I would like to suggest the possibility of changing the spread used in the tester. The platform always takes the last spread available from the broker. Hex editing the fxt file does not fix it. During weekends and holidays, this may be very upsetting to backtests. This week, for example, market stopped with eurusd showing 11 pips spread, instead of normal 2 pips (interbankfx). I think this is a huge flaw in the platform, making the tester worthless during these times, while we wait for market opening and spread coming back to normal levels. If it is not possible to change this in some new MT4 build, I suggest this feature to be incorporated in the upcoming MT5. Thanks.

YES - This is a must for the new platform. Over recent months I can't remember how many weekends were "lost" due to ridiculous spreads. The tightest EA's out there will have built in spread conditions that may stop the EA placing trades when spreads are wild. This is a MUST HAVE feature for future releases.

BTW - When is the new platform out & when can I get my hands on MQL5 ?...?...?... PLEASE !..........

why not post your '5' stuff here?

has basically gone dormant regarding support posts...

But beware - is actually only thread on MQL5 which is not the MT5 Terminal environment which tester is part of, so do not be surprised to not get response (or at least not what you expected ;)

fbj wrote >>

why not post your '5' stuff here?

has basically gone dormant regarding support posts...

But beware - is actually only thread on MQL5 which is not the MT5 Terminal environment which tester is part of, so do not be surprised to not get response (or at least not what you expected ;)

Me too! This is something that absolutely ruins a weekend of testing! Must control the bid/ask spread for offline market conditions...

I had posted SpreadGenerator.

'Tester Spread Problem'

Hi guys, I came across this Russian site, the guy have an symbol editor, it costs 45$ here is the translated page

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kimiv.ru%2Findex.php%3Foption%3Dcom_remository%26Itemid%3D13%26func%3Dfileinfo%26id%3D45

and the original in case you read Russian ;)

http://www.kimiv.ru/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=22&category_id=2&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=13

Reason: