Code to read from Journal?

Any way for MT4 to automatically read what prints in the "Experts" and/or "Journal" tabs in the terminal window?

well... was thinking about disk file but not think can because log entries not saved to disk in realtime. [is weekend but i force log entries without luck] must wait until trading hours sun nite.

buuuut i found a real cool site article 'Alternative Log File with the Use of HTML and CSS'

this is nice. i gonna learn how integrate my system. i got msg handlers that can at times nuke the log [usually when i get code wrong -lol]

figure out how tailor to my msg formats and give colors.

not on topic but have looksee, is great idea!!

i set alarm, u to? and sun nite i see about disk file idea.

think u find no builtin available to get at the msgs. maybe one day api or? expose some Terminal internals (benine data only... of course :)

is it not usually case that terminal o/p is tied to program actions?

if reasonable statement then can not ur code do logging of transactions to own log file?

just idea - fwiw, i always have code all over place in programs and by default logfile always turned on, unlike say trace file logging.

Not that I know of, as fbj noted, the disk file is not flushed in real time.

phy:

Not that I know of, as fbj noted, the disk file is not flushed in real time.

OK.  Not real time.  Does that mean later when the EA closes, or the Program (MT4) shuts down, or what?

fbj:

is it not usually case that terminal o/p is tied to program actions?

if reasonable statement then can not ur code do logging of transactions to own log file?

just idea - fwiw, i always have code all over place in programs and by default logfile always turned on, unlike say trace file logging.

it would solve a lot of problems for me.  For one thing, it would tell me immeadiatly and accuratly when a trades has been filled.  There are more things though.

I'll wait till sun night and see what you think.  Thanks for your help.  Forcing log files on the weekend would be no easy task for me.

inkexit, u MS Windows programmer?

just thinking, as i remember that is poss to locate handle/hwnd for a processes window and then maybe childwindow...

"Terminal.exe" is i think route into puzzle using enumeration of process id's and so on

just idea,

or

even sending keystrokes to Terminal.exe to get correct Terminal tab displayed > map it > read it

maybe readit by sending keystrokes to do ctrl-A + rtclick > select popup menu item 'copy' > then grab contents of copy bufr/windows bufr...

hahaaa - all above or some idea maybe like it is possible for sure but...

fbj:

inkexit, u MS Windows programmer?

just thinking, as i remember that is poss to locate handle/hwnd for a processes window and then maybe childwindow...

"Terminal.exe" is i think route into puzzle using enumeration of process id's and so on

just idea,

or

even sending keystrokes to Terminal.exe to get correct Terminal tab displayed > map it > read it

maybe readit by sending keystrokes to do ctrl-A + rtclick > select popup menu item 'copy' > then grab contents of copy bufr/windows bufr...

hahaaa - all above or some idea maybe like it is possible for sure but...

WAAAAAAY over my head, FBJ.  Thanks for the reccomendation, all the same.

It sounds like way too much work, hacking into windows and all that.  

I don't NEED to be able to read from the journal, but it would be nice.

I've heard this stuff is easy to do with UNIX, though, robot classes and all that.  Is there a UNIX version of MT4?

"Is there a UNIX version of MT4" - if only... but think will never be

can use Wine to supply Win environment for Win progs - i use MT4 this way and maybe possible? is prcs under linux after all.

Wine NOT emulate, just supply Win support infrastructure...

well, like phy says too, not r/t disk writes and 'when'? does next file get written, closed and Terminal starts again - i not know crntly.

of course on terminal stop it does writes etc, but if been xxdays non-stop running - is written .log timestamped name hold 1st run day OR stop day?

speaking of Windows and stuff - take looksee at this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

sooo many ideas fire off when look at all categories and wats on offer - wow!

kiddy in candy store syndrome time - :o)

trouble is - *nix is much more where i wanna end my days - true OS and all that stuff.

getting back to sun eve's research:

1. 20081214.log created Sunday at 15:11, is when I rebooted pc did checkdisk etc. ready for next 5days 24/7 running.

2. 20081214.log appended to Sunday at 23.03, when server time kicks into Monday 15th (GMT+1)

3. Is 00:07 Monday, log for 15th not opened and last entry in 20081214.log is at 23:17 - needs o/p to it maybe to force flush/close and new log open?

4. not keen to mess, got EA on 3pairs live a/c so turn in now see if logs have altered in 6 or so hrs.

I suspect a problem may come up if the log isn't flushed to disk frequently enough to catch all the data in the log file.  There seems to be a limited amout of space in the journal and experts tab, a certain number of lines, I think.  So, if your EA generates 50 lines of data an hour, and the max amount of lines stored is 100, and the data only gets flushed every four hours, you would lose a lot of info there.

Thanks for your continued help on this, FBJ.

Journal log -- /logs -- seems to be updated "real time". Experts log -- /experts/logs -- updates irregularly

i forgot about /logs....

ok, just did refresh and a few lines added to journal tab. the lines previous to them were 00:12 today.

- looking at /logs and newest is 20081214.log - no new 15th log and same for /experts/logs/, still 14th

- did rtclick in journal > Open

- Filemgr win pops up and shows /logs/20081215.log - just created.

i prob invalidate test as manual kick Terminal into [perhaps]: Open > ooops no file > btr create /logs/20081215.log > append wat got in journal bufr

??appears journal tab --> /logs, expert tab --> /experts/logs

-did another refresh, few lines added to journal tab. have waited few mins and look at newly created /logs/20081215.log

- the new journal tab lines not appended to /logs/...

- /experts/logs does not yet have new log like just created in /logs/

ahhh... phy hits nail square! he use words seems and irregularly and... maybe now - enuf time spent, not sure wat i learn here:

1. oh yes, sun's looksee about messin with another prcs win contents etc, seems doable and i learn about technet.microsoft.com

2. learn that TWO places for logs

a. /experts/logs [maybe] only gets experts tab

b. /logs [maybe] only gets journal tab

3. of course for me i learn [i think!!] - is btr [once again:] not to prethink Terminal or maybe think i know wat 'the beast' gonna do :O))

i suker, hit refresh once more > few lines in journal tab added

- /logs/ not appended to

- /experts/logs/ still on 14th log

i addict! rtclk in journal and again as in first time did, /logs/.. appended to. so the 'kick' can be done manually and maybe as phy say r/t also, but i not experience this yet.

been fun - in peverse way - lol

bye

Reason: