What is a TICK? - page 4

phy:

To restate:

My basic finding is if there is a change in MarketInfo() for the pair, a "tick" is received.

There may be exceptions, like "no changes found" but a tick was received, but it is very rare.

Ticks received with no price change are not rare, and signal some other change in MarketInfo for the pair.

Volume is equal to the number of ticks received, i.e. the number of times the start() function was called, it is not specifically trades or Bid/Ask changes. Change in MarketInfo()triggers a tick, and tick count = volume.

I am new comer in mql4 scripting. I try to make a code that shows the price on screen/teminal. MarketInfo() did't work. can you help me.

lazim2010:
I am new comer in mql4 scripting. I try to make a code that shows the price on screen/teminal. MarketInfo() did't work. can you help me.

y not, show your code & we will try point u @ the right direction

puncher:

if I think well :

1 Tick = 1 PIP

Have I the right?

i think

1 Tick = 1 Pip or more .... Pip/ Second

it's right..????

The term tick is used loosely to describe an event, and the lowest possible change in price.

As an event; tick == the arrival of a new price quote

As a monetary value it is the lowest possible change in price; tick == Point.

rius22: 1 Tick = 1 Pip or more .... Pip/ Second
SDC: The term tick is used loosely to describe an event, and the lowest possible change in price.

No, and No.

There is Tick, PIP, and Point. They are all different in general. A tick is the smallest change of price. A Point is the least significant digit quoted. In currencies a pip is defined as 0.0001 (or for JPY 0.01)

On a 4 digit broker a point (0.0001) = pip (0.0001). [JPY 0.01 == 0.01] On a 5 digit broker a point (0.00001) = 1/10 pip (0.00010/10). Just because you quote an extra digit doesn't change the value of a pip. (0.0001 == 0.00010) EA's must adjust pips to points (for mq4.) In currencies a tick is a point. Price can change by least significant digit (1.23456 -> 1.23457)

In metals a Tick is still the smallest change but is larger than a point. If price can change from 123.25 to 123.50, you have a TickSize of 0.25 and a point of 0.01. Pip has no meaning.

This is why you don't use TickValue by itself. Only as a ratio with TickSize. See DeltaValuePerLot()

rius22:

i think

1 Tick = 1 Pip or more .... Pip/ Second

it's right..????

Is there a point to answering a 6 year old question ?  or are you just trying to mess up the thread listing ?

2008.07.02 23:19 #

if I think well :

The Forum Admin already answered correctly,  did you read the thread ?

Rosh:
New price (differenced from previous) => new tick. No other explanation.

I have encountered another problem.

Book says TICKVALUE is in deposit currency.

However, practice shows some brokers return the value in other currency than the deposit currency.

Moreover, I have seen cases where ie. one CFD's TICKVALUE was in deposit currency, while another's was in base currency.

This ruins programming completely.

Anybody knows where the broker sets this up?

C/z it seems complaints to the broker don't always bring effect, so they should be educated. 

Dadas: Book says TICKVALUE is in deposit currency.
If it's not, complain to your broker, or switch.

Generate Tick Data

The forum

1. GenerateTickData indicator - the post. It is the indicator to generate tick data (so place it in indicators folder) and it will work the same regardless of the time frame it is attached to. It will create a file that is starting with "_t" and adds symbol name after it. It "pretends" to be 1 minute chart, but it is not (of course ). Just open that symbol as offline chart and use it (the indicator must be active on some other chart in order to get "live" ticks). 
  2. Tick Indicator and EAs - the key thread  
  3. What is a TICK? - small thread with the explanation
  4. GenerateTickData - final indicator is on this post. Two options added:
    - ResetData - Added it in order to be able to "start from the beginning" (if you turned off your PC and a "time gap" occurs since there is no way to reconstruct tick data or any other reason when you do not want the data to be appended to already existing tick data) If you set this parameter to true, it will start a new tick data history.
    - ShowComment - It is the fastest way to show that it is working, so if you set it to true it will simply comment in the upper left corner that tick data is saved and a time when it was saved.
  5. Tick Data v1.00 indicator - the post. It is next version of GenerateTickData indicator: Added an option to choose how many ticks do you want per bar. Indicator is differentiating 2 basic types:
    - When required number of ticks per bar is 1, it records bid as low and ask as high, so you can have a sort of a "spread control" (since now you can see those ticks as lines but you can see them as bars too, as in this example );
    - When required number of ticks is greater than 1 then you are getting a sort of "equi-volume" charts (every bar is having a same volume when you turn the volume display on) High, low, open and close are constructed from a Bid.
  6. Tick Data v1.01 indicator - the post. This is improved version of Tick Data v1.00 indicator. This indicator can produce an offline chart of ticks simulated by metatrader and if you are testing an EA that depends on a narrow take profits or stops, this indicator shows you that back test can not be trusted at all. The indicator is, apart from having the possibility of recording test data, a revised version with some code optimization and some corrections.
  7. Tick Data v1.02 indicator - the post. It is the Newer version of tick data indicator. Unlike before (previous versions) this one make difference as of how many ticks is chosen and saves it accordingly. As before the name of the symbol for offline charts is "_t"+symbol name, but the difference is in the "time frame" it is saved as : the time frame is in fact number of ticks. So you are going to artificially get a 1 minute, 10 minute, nnn minutes tick charts where minutes are in fact number of ticks per bar. The limitation (due to metatrader naming conventions) is that the maximum number of ticks can be 9999. All the charts are updated live (one 1 tick chart and two 10 tick charts) and both indicators (for 1 tick and 10 tick) are attached to the same chart.
  8. Tick Data v1.03 indicator - the post. It is the next version of Tick Data indicator. A parameter to add a completely new option - there is some explanation of the author: "It occurred to me that a tick chart is a bit "illogical" - illogical in a sense that current bar open is very rarely previous bar open (since it was opened at first tick after a current bar reaches tick count), not when the previous bar was closed. So decided to add on option that takes care of it : UsePreviousCloseForOpen - if set to true, then the open is determined from previous bar close not the first ticks after the bar opens, if set to false it work as before".

The articles

CodeBase

Sergey Golubev:

Generate Tick Data

The forum

1. GenerateTickData indicator - the post. It is the indicator to generate tick data (so place it in indicators folder) and it will work the same regardless of the time frame it is attached to. It will create a file that is starting with "_t" and adds symbol name after it. It "pretends" to be 1 minute chart, but it is not (of course ). Just open that symbol as offline chart and use it (the indicator must be active on some other chart in order to get "live" ticks). 
  2. Tick Indicator and EAs - the key thread  
  3. What is a TICK? - small thread with the explanation
  4. GenerateTickData - final indicator is on this post. Two options added:
    - ResetData - Added it in order to be able to "start from the beginning" (if you turned off your PC and a "time gap" occurs since there is no way to reconstruct tick data or any other reason when you do not want the data to be appended to already existing tick data) If you set this parameter to true, it will start a new tick data history.
    - ShowComment - It is the fastest way to show that it is working, so if you set it to true it will simply comment in the upper left corner that tick data is saved and a time when it was saved.
  5. Tick Data v1.00 indicator - the post. It is next version of GenerateTickData indicator: Added an option to choose how many ticks do you want per bar. Indicator is differentiating 2 basic types:
    - When required number of ticks per bar is 1, it records bid as low and ask as high, so you can have a sort of a "spread control" (since now you can see those ticks as lines but you can see them as bars too, as in this example );
    - When required number of ticks is greater than 1 then you are getting a sort of "equi-volume" charts (every bar is having a same volume when you turn the volume display on) High, low, open and close are constructed from a Bid.
  6. Tick Data v1.01 indicator - the post. This is improved version of Tick Data v1.00 indicator. This indicator can produce an offline chart of ticks simulated by metatrader and if you are testing an EA that depends on a narrow take profits or stops, this indicator shows you that back test can not be trusted at all. The indicator is, apart from having the possibility of recording test data, a revised version with some code optimization and some corrections.
  7. Tick Data v1.02 indicator - the post. It is the Newer version of tick data indicator. Unlike before (previous versions) this one make difference as of how many ticks is chosen and saves it accordingly. As before the name of the symbol for offline charts is "_t"+symbol name, but the difference is in the "time frame" it is saved as : the time frame is in fact number of ticks. So you are going to artificially get a 1 minute, 10 minute, nnn minutes tick charts where minutes are in fact number of ticks per bar. The limitation (due to metatrader naming conventions) is that the maximum number of ticks can be 9999. All the charts are updated live (one 1 tick chart and two 10 tick charts) and both indicators (for 1 tick and 10 tick) are attached to the same chart.
  8. Tick Data v1.03 indicator - the post. It is the next version of Tick Data indicator. A parameter to add a completely new option - there is some explanation of the author: "It occurred to me that a tick chart is a bit "illogical" - illogical in a sense that current bar open is very rarely previous bar open (since it was opened at first tick after a current bar reaches tick count), not when the previous bar was closed. So decided to add on option that takes care of it : UsePreviousCloseForOpen - if set to true, then the open is determined from previous bar close not the first ticks after the bar opens, if set to false it work as before".

The articles

CodeBase

Is it possible to plot every tick in the indicator plot. I want to plot live ticks streaming into an indicator (irrespective of the plot period), is that possible and how?

Reason: