Interview with Stanislav Starikov: Features of New MQL5 - page 13

Enigma71fx:

- DEBUGGER!! lack of debugger is an incredible mistake; having to print variable values to the journal in MT4 or to files is really, really not handy and consumes precious time that could be used on writing code instead of manually searching for results or possible bugs in such ways

- as someone has already mentioned, TrailingStop() function should be included - why not make it available for the EA, if a trader has such functionality when trading manually on MT4

- waiting for a tick to arrive, especially during night hours, is really a bad thing - maybe there should be a possibility to request server time on demand or just use time from the local machine

- in case you are not planning to implement OOP, how about providing ability to create structures - as someone has mentioned, it would be much easier to have structures instead of having to create multiple arrays

Have you seen 'Tetris'? In addition I can tell a debugger will be too.

Rosh:

Instead of that Tetris you could have done an example with something linked to trading or backtesting...

However, if the language is so powerful now, probably direct compilation to EXE might give to MQL5 an aura of general allpurpose language with trading oriented functions, especially if you add also the possibility to create application windows or menus. Do you intend to transform MQL5 into a "Visual C++ Trading Edition" ?

Rosh:

Yes, looks nice :)

I am not sure after reading this thread and other sources, so maybe you could shed a little light on it - is there going to be object programming in MQL5?

@Enigma71fx

Well, I understood there will be object programming, but it will lack the inheritance.

@Rosh

When could we expect at least a beta release? Something to let start honing our skills with it ?

TheEconomist:

@Enigma71fx

Well, I understood there will be object programming, but it will lack the inheritance.

Why have you done such conclusion?

stringo:
1. You can use C++ BNF description (we cannot publish it because this form is hardcoded in our project)

The differences as compared to C++ are:

• No class inheritance
  • No address arithmetic
  • No operators overload (it will probably be included later)
  • No 'goto' operator
  • No ternary operation expr ? op1 : op2; (it will probably be included later)

The syntax description will be embedded in MetaEditor help files.

2. No, we cannot as yet. You should consider the functionality described in MQL4. However, the functionality will be expanded considerably.

3. You should not worry about "cut-off" date for MQL4. The upward compatibility of the languages will be kept, with some rare exceptions.

4. You can use this thread for this purpose. Welcome.

Ok, I see now. It has already changed a bit.
TheEconomist:

The differences as compared to C++ are:

• No class inheritance
  • No address arithmetic
  • No operators overload (it will probably be included later)
  • No 'goto' operator
  • No ternary operation expr ? op1 : op2; (it will probably be included later)

Rosh:

That's great news!! :) Thanks a lot, MQL team :) If operators overload got included, it would be great :)

And how about the other stuff -> TrailingStop() function & a possibility to use server or local time instead of waiting for a tick? These 2 would really be useful.

Enigma71fx wrote >>

And how about the other stuff -> TrailingStop() function & a possibility to use server or local time instead of waiting for a tick? These 2 would really be useful.

I think, you'll find some ways for these purposes in MQL5.

What kind of changes will occur on server-side with MT5?

There seem to be many deficiencies to overcome/workaround when a Dealer, or more specifically a Broker, attempts to integrate MT4 with their systems.

Reason: