MQL4 - automated forex trading   /  

Forum

Login | Register | Language: ru cn en
Freelancers needed to develop Expert Advisors for traders

trailing stop loss calculation question - on bar close price or calc and set in real time?

Back to topics list To post a new topic, please log in or register
idh 2013.12.31 21:26

Hi

I'm coding up some trailing stop loss functionality for my EA. I was wondering what people's thoughts/opinions are with regards to using Moving averages as basis for stop loss, or something like ATR?

But my main question is, assuming I use a moving average, would it be better to recalculate and adjust my stop loss on the previous bar's close price, or do people generally do it in real time for each incoming tick. I know a lot of EAs tend to wait for a new bar before executing a buy or sell on a given signal, but I wondered whether the same practice is also wise for setting Stop losses. If I do it in real time for each tick, it seems less stable to me and more prone to whipsaw..

Any thoughts ?

New Regulation Might Hurt $11.2 Trillion EU Insurer Investments

New Regulation Might Hurt $11.2 Trillion EU Insurer Investments

Starting in 2016, the European Union plans to introduce Solvency II. The rules specify how much capital firms must hold to meet future obligations and to safeguard customers’ money. Analysts are afraid the new rule might hurt insurers in Europe as long-term investors, since they manage about 8.5 trillion euros ($11.

ubzen 2014.01.01 00:07 #

idh: I'm coding up some trailing stop loss functionality for my EA. I was wondering what people's thoughts/opinions are with regards to using Moving averages as basis for stop loss, or something like ATR?

But my main question is, assuming I use a moving average, would it be better to recalculate and adjust my stop loss on the previous bar's close price, or do people generally do it in real time for each incoming tick. I know a lot of EAs tend to wait for a new bar before executing a buy or sell on a given signal, but I wondered whether the same practice is also wise for setting Stop losses. If I do it in real time for each tick, it seems less stable to me and more prone to whipsaw..

Any thoughts ?

1) Depends on the Strategy.

2) I prefer "upon bar opening". Less prone to whipsaws. Less prone to re-painting ... what you see would be what happened.

idh 2014.01.01 12:27 #

ubzen:

1) Depends on the Strategy.

2) I prefer "upon bar opening". Less prone to whipsaws. Less prone to re-painting ... what you see would be what happened.

thanks - you mean execute upon new bar opening but looking back at the previous bar, yes?
ubzen 2014.01.01 13:21 #

idh: thanks - you mean execute upon new bar opening but looking back at the previous bar, yes?

Yes, same idea as bar_close_price (in most cases).

I just word it that way because you cannot tell when the bar_close until another opens.

You can also use the new_bar open_price because it doesn't change during the life of the bar.

Back to topics list  

To add comments, please log in or register